The prospective Manny “Pac-Man” Pacquiao versus “Pretty Boy” Floyd Mayweather bout slated for March 13 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas has been canceled because the two disgraceful camps couldn’t agree to terms over drastic drug testing measures.
After a long mediation session, representatives for both Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions were reportedly confident that they had brokered an agreement that would have enabled the potentially richest fight in boxing history to occur.
Virtually every point of contention that placed the glamorous matchup in peril had been acceptably dealt with by both sides.
Unfortunately, Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) refused to budge on his unprecedented insistence that both Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs) and himself undergo Olympic-style drug testing to ensure a clean contest.
“I knew this was going to happen,” said Pacquiao’s visibly disgusted promoter Bob Arum. “You had to play it out.”
Arum was not finished verbally decimating Mayweather, the former WBC welterweight champion who has won six world boxing championships in five different weight classes.
“I’ve been saying this for years: He’s a psychological coward who doesn’t want to fight anybody who has a chance of beating him. He walked away from a rematch with Oscar De La Hoya that would have paid him a fortune because De La Hoya held him close in the first fight.”
Pacquiao, 31, rated by Ring Magazine as the #1 pound-for-pound boxer in the world, issued a statement shortly after the fight was formally bagged.
“I am very disappointed that we could not make this fight for the fans and I am angered because of the false accusations from Golden Boy and the Mayweather camp that I used some type of drugs, and that is why I have instructed our American lawyers to proceed with the lawsuit to clear my name.”
Suspicions of doping have plagued Pacquiao, the IBO and Ring Magazine champion, for quite some time.
However, allegations and rumors recently reached a feverish level when Mayweather’s loony patriarch, Floyd Sr., publicly accused Pacquiao of being an abuser of performance enhancing drugs despite the fact that he had zero evidence whatsoever to validate his claim.
“I know Floyd is the best,” said Mayweather Sr., a convicted cocaine smuggler and trafficker. “But, when your opponent uses something illegal, even the best can get hurt.”
Arum said that there’s “no chance ever of salvaging it for March” and expressed serious doubts that the matchup will transpire at another point in the future.
To compensate for this utter debacle, Arum has proposed a March 13 fight that would pit Pacquiao against WBA super welterweight champion Yuri Foreman (28-0, 8 KOs).
In the interests of his client, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer mentioned a potential matchup involving Mayweather and WBO and NABO light welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi (27-3, 5 KOs).
“When the fight was offered, Manny accepted it with no hesitation,” Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz told www.espn.com. “We’re not surprised. We saw this coming once they started the bulls***. It was a way for them to get out of the fight. I don’t think Mayweather expected Manny to accept the challenge so quickly.”
Unsurprisingly, according to the website TMZ, Mayweather didn’t “hesitate” an attempt to scrap obese rapper Rick Ross at the grand opening of Vanity nightclub in the Hard Rock Hotel last week.
Before “Pretty Boy” and Ro$$ could brawl, the honorable peacekeeper P. Diddy separated the two and tensions ultimately settled down.
According to crazy Floyd Sr., his little boy confronted Ro$$ because he heard the rapper had been “talking s**t.”
It is apparent that Mayweather, 32, is infatuated with fighting slouches like Ro$$ instead of elite pugilists the caliber of Pacquiao.
Pacquiao clearly submitted to a litany of Mayweather’s demands to no avail.
It is readily evident that Pacquiao is prepared to fight Mayweather.
It is also equally obvious that “Pretty Boy” is reluctant to clash with “Pac-Man” because his unblemished mark would be placed in grave jeopardy.
Nevertheless, Pacquiao should have begrudgingly accepted all of Mayweather’s extreme requirements and then he could have battered the “Pretty Boy” in three months time.
Sadly for boxing fans and for the sport of pugilism as a whole, that did not happen.
If there was currently a legitimate and established boxing authority, both of these combatants would deserve to be suspended indefinitely for actions unbecoming professional prizefighters.
Subsequently, neither fighter would be permitted to enter the ring again until they encountered one another.
But, this is boxing and boxing, as famed sportswriter Jimmy Cannon once said, is “the red light district of sports.”
Yet again, boxing bludgeoned itself today.